I thought I would pop in and offer up some writing updates! I haven’t been blogging much lately, so I’m probably overdue.
I recently finished the first round of rewrite on the sequel to What the Dead Fear. That was a giant pain in my rear that went on far longer than it should have. The rough draft was about 26000 words, while the rewrite version was about 36000.
It was very intensive with changes to almost every paragraph. So, what went wrong in the first round? I was off my game; that much is clear. The story wasn’t as developed as it should have been. I also had some realizations about the story toward the end, which resulted in many changes throughout. The whole rewrite was very tedious, but worth the trouble, I think.
The current project is my first read of the middle grade novel. I was worried that this would be in bad shape like the novella. Thank God it’s okay because it’s about 95,000 words right now. It’s the longest book I’ve written, and if I had to spend the next year rewriting it, I might have cried. I actually took a 4-day weekend to get a jump on it, during which time, I got through about half of the book.
I’m very pleased with it, not only because of the whole ease of edit thing. I think if I can get someone to really look at it and give it a chance, they might want to publish it. I’m going to give that road a go. Someone will want this book.
I plan to get through as much of the read as I can this weekend, so I can send it off to lady editor. I’ve got about 1/6 of it left. I anticipate smooth sailing. *knock on wood*
And that’s all I have to say about that…for now.